Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Fostering creativity through e-learning

On Tuesday I was lucky to attend a fantastic conference. It's focus was creativity through e-learning.
Derek Wenmoth's keynote was great, and out of the whole day I felt I got the most out of his talk. He spoke about how we use ICT in the classroom and how it starts:
addition-
incorporation-
integration-
assimilation.
He asked us to question whether we are integrating ICT into our programme or assimilating it- and there's a big difference. Integration is when you are consciously planning and finding a way to use some kind of ICT in your room. Assimilation is when we do not have to consciously think about using ICT- it is ingrained in the way we teach and in the way our students learn.

My reflection:
Why should I tell my students what program they should use? The other day we were learning to how write a procedure. I told my students to use movie maker to write a procedure. Why? How is it encouraging or stimulating their creativity when I dictate what program to use? At the end of the day their learning outcome is to write a procedure. How they choose to show their understanding should be up to them!

What this means for my practise:
Stop telling the kids to do this and do that- let them have control over what they are doing to aid/demonstrate their learning. By limiting the control they have I am limiting their creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment