Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Maths Teacher Inquiry- Dinah

Dinah led a staff meeting on using our data to come up with our next steps for teaching. She wanted us to think about how are we going to teach better- not how is that student going to get better.

We had to choose a target group in which we would start a mini teacher inquiry. This had to be a group of students who have made little or no progress all year. I have one student who has moved in strategy this year but has not moved in knowledge all year. She is my focus.

Dinah suggested my first step be to give her a stage six knowledge test even though she has not yet passed stage five. This has allowed me to identify what she knows and what she doesn't- and I can start targeting the things she doesn't know first. I am going to be setting aside ten minutes at the start of maths everyday where I work one-on-one with her in order to fill her gaps. She will be given extra homework and practise to reinforce the learning.
I will also have to find suitable materials to use when working with her- these will form an image which she can refer to when solving the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment